ST JAMES HOMESTEAD - AURET SUITE
± 60M2 - TOP FLOOR
Son of Jeremias and Christina, Abraham Auret was born in 1819 in Simon’s Town. Auret’s Cottage, on the corner of St James and Main Roads, was home to him and his wife Elizabeth and five children for 50 years. Auret was a respected whaler, fisherman and property owner, and as a staunch member of the Dutch Reformed Church he helped finance the building of their church in Kalk Bay. He was a friend of the Governor of the Cape, Sir Harry Smith, who granted him fishing and whaling rights in the late 1840s inclusive of erecting fishing huts from the east of Muizenberg Beach towards Strandfontein – grants which put Auret in good stead for many years.
He was a colourful character involving himself in many aspects of the wider community. He backed an unsuccessful petition to have the name Kalk Bay changed to Ashton Bay in honour of Lt. Col Henry Ashton, who for many years had been the benefactor, sympathiser, advisor and medicine supplier to the local fisherman. He was also involved in many dramatic sea rescues during his seafaring and whaling days including the rescue of 15 crew from the Johanna Wagner — a Prussian barque stranded off Muizenberg in July 1862. His successful hiding of two Boer War prisoners from Simon’s Town in the loft of his house, which British soldiers searched in vain, is one of the many legends attributed to his remarkable life. He died at his home on 28 January 1902 aged 83.