ST JAMES HOMESTEAD - WEST JONES SUITE
± 60M2 - FIRST FLOOR
William West Jones became the first Archbishop of Cape Town in 1897. He bought The Homestead from the deceased estate of Heinrich Pieter Hablutzel in 1902 and used the house as his holiday home until his death in 1908. He was a tall, dignified and youthful personality who added much to the concept that St James was an ideal place to live or have a holiday home. His visits to St James must have been most refreshing especially when he was tied up with the problems of the Anglo-Boer War (1899–1902). Here he tried to mediate between the two combatants to secure a lasting peace, and had to endure untrue accusations by the Boers that he was biased towards the British.
Archbishop Jones won a great reputation for pastoral gentleness and was highly respected by the community. His death while in England was a great shock and he was deeply mourned by his wife, Emily, their two sons and the greater public of Cape Town. At the time of his death he was still engaged in raising funds for the completion of St George’s Cathedral. The north transept of the Cathedral was built in 1909 and dedicated to his memory. His wife continued to live in The Homestead until she sold it to Mary Cathcart in 1913.