ST JAMES MANOR - BOYES SUITE - DELUXE ± 60M2
George Boyes, born 1863 in Cape Town, joined the Civil Service as a clerk in 1883. In 1892, he was appointed Chief Commissioner and Resident Magistrate of Mafikeng. In 1904, he became Resident Magistrate, Collector of Customs and Port Captain at Simon’s Town, the Royal Navy’s main base in the southern hemisphere.
It was here he developed his interest in the South Peninsula and its road network. He extended the road from Miller’s Point to Smitswinkel Bay, the old Red Hill Rd to Klaasjagersberg, and the high-level road from Muizenberg to Kalk Bay, named ‘Boyes Drive’ in his honour. This was his finest contribution to the ‘All Round the Cape Peninsula Road Project’.
In 1916 he left for Queenstown, returned in 1919 as Chief Magistrate until his retirement in 1923 and became a City Councillor, but suddenly took ill in 1924 and passed away at home.