ST JAMES MANOR - FINDLAY SUITE - CLASSIC ± 70M2
The Manor was originally part of a large property called ‘The Mearns’, granted to Philip Morgenrood in April 1880. He subdivided the erf and in 1883 sold a portion measuring 1 morgen 14 square roods and 28 square feet to William Torbet.
This erf (including a thatched house) was extensive, running from Main Rd up the full length of Hillrise Rd to Boyes Drive. Torbet divided this erf into eight lots in addition to the main erf and sold the entire property to George Findlay in 1885.
Findlay named the house Vancouver in memory of his stay in Vancouver, Canada, and lived there for 10 years. He sold the entire property to to Joseph Mossop in 1895.